Chlorella- no it’s not cleaning agent, nor a brand of medicine, nor one of Gwyneth Paltrow’s children. It is, in fact, the best thing that is going to happen to you. Graduated college? Got married? Had a baby? Forget all of those memories. The first day you try out Chlorella will become the happiest day in your life.
No really, come on, what the f**k is it?
It’s a sea algae that comes in powder or pill form (we’ll be working with the powdered form so that we can mix it with our beloved food). It is CRAZY GOOD FOR YOU. Like, woah, check out some of the superfood buzzwords; cancer-fighting, detoxifying, promotes weight-loss, supports immune system, makes you look younger, lowers blood sugar and cholesterol.
Those are all pretty kick ass. But what makes Chlorella king in the weird powdered stuff I’m willing to eat to be healthy? IT PREVENTS HANGOVERS. Like actually, according to scientists ‘n stuff. As long as you take it before you go drinking, it helps your liver to break down all the crap you put into it, detoxifying as you go, and its jam packed with nutrients that are usually lost during a piss-up. In a study done in Japan, taking Chlorella before drinking, reduced 96% of hangover symptoms. NINETY SIX PERCENT PEOPLE!
After finding this out, I ran straight to my local health food store and got a bag of it. I had absolutely no knowledge of how to make it taste good, so just put a teaspoon of it in my mouth and proceeded to cough green smoke for the next 2 hours. Don’t do that. Instead, try it in a smoothie! Below is a recipe that I love!
Chlorella Ella Ella Smoothie
Skill Level: -1
Hangover Category: PREVENTATIVE. You could try it the day after but it’s far less effective
1 cup of almond milk
1 passion fruit
1 heaped tablespoon of chlorella
Throw it in the blender. Turn on blender. Turn off blender. Come on Jeff, even you can do this one.
TA-DAA! Drink it up and then go off on your night out. Let me know if it worked for you! I have been trying it on and off, and pushing it on my friends for the last few months and have only had a few dodgy results. Remember, 96%. That still leaves 4% of headaches and possible gagging. Having said that, my second time trying it I pushed it to the limit- beer, cider, wine, shots, mojitos. Next day- NO HANGOVER.
Give it a go and send your review in the comments!